Thursday, February 7, 2013

What is the role of a mother in a family?

There have been some things that have happened in our home the last few weeks that has had me thinking of this question a lot.  When I think of some of the things that I do personally I come up with this list.
 nurturer
doctor
nurse
teacher
cab driver
cook
house keeper
homework helper
clothing washer
cheerleader
disciplinarian
etc....

Growing up there were a lot of things that I thought I want to be but the most important thing to me was that I wanted to be a mom.  I wanted to be a stay at home mom that would teach my kids their ABC's and 123's, as well as manners, how to treat others with respect, etc...  

After Justin and I got married I applied at SLCC to do cosmetology and just after I applied we found out that we were expecting.  We decided that I would put going to school on hold so that I could worry about providing and caring for the baby.  Our lives changed when Morgan was born everything that I wanted for myself was put on hold because I was now a mom with a precious little life to take care of.  My needs and wants were no longer important.  8 years and 3 babies later I am still wanting to go to school but for something different and it is still on hold.  Justin Graduated from ITT Tech in December and is currently waiting to hear if he got in to the University of Utah.   I believe that continuing your education after high school is important as long as it is done when the time is right.  

I know that I am not a perfect mom or person but I do know that the only place that I am suppose to be right now is with my kids and husband.  I could never imagine leaving them and not being with them every single day.  I could never imagine not being there when they are sick, or at bedtime routine, or when they hit a milestone in their life, or when they had a bad day and need to be held and be told that everything will be OK.  

I know that my priorities are different then other people and others don't feel the same way that I do but I think if you make the choice to be a mom then you are a mom first and an individual second.  I hope and pray everyday that I can be the mom that my kids need.   I will always put the needs, wants and safety of my kids before myself.  

I am grateful for my husband for everything that he does for me and our family.  I am grateful for each one of my kids and for the blessings that they are in my life.  I am grateful for trials that help make me a better person.  I am grateful for my mom and the example and support that she is for me.  I am grateful for all my family for always being there and for their love and support.  

 

No comments:

Post a Comment